Heart in Alabama Design
With little travel experience in Alabama, I found the Heart in Alabama design a challenge. I have only been to Alabama once when I was driving Interstate-10 from North Carolina to Texas.
My typical fall back to lack of first-hand experience is to find locals and quiz them with questions like:
- What is the Heart of Alabama?
- If Alabama had a heart, what would it be made of?
- When I say Alabama, what are the first—and most traditional—things that come to mind?
My final go-to source is Google, of course, where I see what I can discover by “reading between the lines.” This time I discovered:
- The University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa aka “Bama;”
- Huntsville is known as Rocket City due to NASA's influence and history;
- Alabama is known as the Heart of Dixie.
>With this research, we considered these designs ideas:
- A houndstooth-patterned heart for the University of Alabama Bear Bryant's houndstooth hat he wore at every game;
- A camellia-inspired heart for the state flower; and
- The state flag demonstrating the state’s Confederate roots.
Not pleased with any of the above, we chose my Heart in State Classic Design— hence, a red heart in the state. The full explanation for this design format is explained in my “Heart Sticker Classic Design" blog post.
Are you looking for a place to apply your Heart in Alabama sticker? Many folks place them on Hydro Flask water bottles, Yeti coolers & tumblers, and Yakima and Thule racks.
Follow your heart, it will lead you home.