Heart in Alabama Design Origin
Heart in Alabama Design
With little travel experience in Alabama, I found the Heart in Alabama design a challenge. I have only been to Alabama once when I was driving Interstate-10 from North Carolina to Texas.
My typical fall back to lack of first-hand experience is to find locals and quiz them with questions like:
- What is the Heart of Alabama?
- If Alabama had a heart, what would it be made of?
- When I say Alabama, what are the first—and most traditional—things that come to mind?
My final go-to source is Google, of course, where I see what I can discover by “reading between the lines.” This time I discovered:
- The University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa aka “Bama;”
- Huntsville is known as Rocket City due to NASA's influence and history;
- Alabama is known as the Heart of Dixie.
>With this research, we considered these designs ideas:
- A houndstooth-patterned heart for the University of Alabama Bear Bryant's houndstooth hat he wore at every game;
- A camellia-inspired heart for the state flower; and
- The state flag demonstrating the state’s Confederate roots.
Not pleased with any of the above, we chose my Heart in State Classic Design— hence, a red heart in the state. The full explanation for this design format is explained in my “Heart Sticker Classic Design" blog post.
So, as it stands today, the Heart in Alabama is our classic design of a red heart in Alabama.
Are you looking for a place to apply your Heart in Alabama sticker? Many folks place them on Hydro Flask water bottles, Yeti coolers & tumblers, and Yakima and Thule racks.
Follow your heart, it will lead you home.